Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Back to the roots...

The garden

My mum, happiest in her element :o)

A couple of weeks ago I came back from visiting my mother in Germany. She is the matriarch in our family who has taught me everything I know. Especially when it comes to all things concerning the kitchen, cooking, and good food. She has always told me that the ABC's of cooking and delicious food start with quality ingredients. Ever since I can remember, she has grown her produce in her very own garden, long before it was hip to buy organic food. Nowadays, I relish going to Whole Foods and buying my fresh food, but I must say that my wallet truly does not. Growing up, I took for granted the beautiful fruits and vegetables my mother would bring home in splendor. Today I wish I had her gardening skills (or lived closer to her!). On this trip to Germany, I accompanied her to her garden where she proudly showed me the fruits (literally) of her hard labor. This time around I could truly appreciate the beauty of her garden and hard work. This is where my journey as a self-proclaimed foodie began. I have however, not inherited the "growing/gardening" type of gene, as I seem to be incapable of keeping a mere orchid alive!

Happy eating!!

J


Blackberries - these will eventually be made into the best jam known to mankind.


Apple tree

Bell peppers

Lettuce

Beets

Beets

Cucumbers

Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes!





Peaches!





Pears

Roses

Pumpkins

Corn

More pumpkins

Zuchini

Squash

More pumpkins

The proud owner of her universe

Hot chili pepper in weird shapes

Peppers

Eggplants

Apples

Grapes

Hot chili peppers galore


Dinner!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails