Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Blueberry Salsa in Hilton Head

Fresh ice cold lemonade

As promised, here I am with a recipe. It's late, but rather late than never, right? The laundry has kept me busy pretty much busy all day. It's truly amazing to me how two people can produce so much laundry!!

Upon our arrival SB's parents had already prepared a huge jug of ice cold lemonade. They are just amazing. It was just so perfect and refreshing on the super hot and humid day that it was. I always thought that it was humid in NYC during the summer. Well, let me tell you something, it is nothing in comparison to the humidity in SC. I mean they just take humidity to a new level.

In addition to the lemonade Momma B made blueberry salsa for us to snack on. I know what you're thinking - blueberry salsa??? It's definitely an interesting concept - but I can tell you that is just DE-LISH!!! When I first looked at it I was expecting more of a sweet taste because it kind of looks like a berry salad mix that one would have for dessert. But this salsa is just a satisfying as your regular savory, tomato salsa. I actually think that it is a little more flavorful because the blueberries really add something special. Momma B stumbled across this recipe in an issue Southern Living magazine and thought it would be perfect because KB (SB's brother) and KG (SB's brother in law) are allergic to onions. Regardless, of whether you can or cannot eat onions, this salsa simply fantastic and really hope you all try it. We ALL loved it!

Blueberry salsa as featured in Southern Living

  • 3 cups fresh blueberries (2 cups coarsely chopped, 1 cup whole)
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (use less or more depending on how spicy you like it)
  • 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (add a pinch more if you like it a little saltier)
Mix all ingredients together and eat - or cover and let chill in fridge for 8 hours.

Prepared by Momma B

Happy eating!!

J


1 comment:

  1. great job with that salsa!!! thanks for sharing and welcome to food buzz!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails