Monday, July 12, 2010

SoHo kind of Lunch

My favorite Cuban sandwich

Today I decided to stroll through SoHo, just because. On my walk the path led me to Cafe Habana. I love Cuban sandwiches and I happen to think that Cafe Habana has the best Cuban sandwich in NYC. A great Cuban sandwich from a Cuban restaurant, makes sense right? The bread is crispy on the outside from the panini press, the pork has that slow-cooked flavor and the cheese just oozes all throughout the sandwich. But my favorite part is biting into the crunchy pickle in the middle. It's a fabulous little surprise. The other popular item from Cafe Habana and one of my personal favorites is their grilled corn. It's sweet, spicy, cheesy and simply awesome.

Look at those beautiful grill marks

Cafe Habana style Corn on the Cob Recipe:
  • Corn
  • Veggie oil (if you choose to grill the corn)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup of mayo
  • 1/2 cup of sour cream
  • Grated Cotija cheese
  • Pinch chili powder
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper
  • Lime
If you are grilling the corn, make sure you soak the corn in water for at least a couple of hours with the husks removed. Dry off and then brush with veggie oil, and throw on the grill for about 20 minutes. Rotate frequently. In the meantime mix the mayo and sour cream together. Slather the mixture on the grilled corn. Sprinkle a pinch of the salt, chili powder and cayenne pepper on it. Roll in grated Cotija cheese and serve with a wedge or two of lime. If you're not grilling but cooking inside, you can use this recipe on cooked corn all the same.

To complete the meal, I'd serve a Corona with a slice of lemon. Which is just what I had. I prefer my Corona with lemon, not lime. I think it tastes so much more refreshing! It kind of tastes a bit like a Shandy.


To top it of I had a not-so-little and very decadent treat from Rice to Riches. I love rice pudding and Rice to Riches has perfected the art of rice pudding making (Hmmm - Julie likes rice - nothing surprising about that LOL). They have flavors for pretty much every palate, which is about 21. My favorite are Old Fashioned Romance and Man Made Mascarpone with Cherries (I just LOVE mascarpone) and I got Cinnamon Sling with Raisins for SB. They are all equally creamy, milky, sweet and delicious!!!

Cinnamon Sling with Raisins

The rather unconventional way how Rice to Riches greets you

The afterthought that they leave you with

Happy eating!!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails